Friday, June 11, 2010

Today I was just thinking about the happiest and saddest times in my life. Each of those times has centered around my family and those close to me. I am grateful for those times because they have made me, me.

One of my happiest moments in life was when my son, who could not speak said to me three words, three times "I love you". He has partial agenesis of the corpus callosum. Which means he is missing part of the bridge that connects the right and left sides of his brain. Every once in a while it connects and he says something. I can't put into words the joy I felt when he said those 3 simple words.

This brings me to one of the saddest moments, it was when we found out Spencer had this struggle in life and that he would have to work twice as hard as everyone else. It broke my heart knowing of the struggles he would encounter. My husband and I watched the movie Radio. Everything that I had been feeling the past month came out in tears as I watched it. In my heart I prayed that he would not be treated as the man radio had been. At times people have not understood his struggles and expected him to be like other kids his age. From them we have learned tolerance, love and patience. But moreover I have learned of the love my son has for everyone regardless of how they treat him. That has taught me more volumes than the other. Anyone who knows him, has felt of this love. I am grateful for the opportunity that I have had to be his mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment